Sunday, August 31, 2008

AFRICA

Today we traveled between two of the largest cities in Ethiopia - from Addis Ababa to Awassa (approx. 270Km). We were able to really see and enjoy some of the countryside, many small towns and villages, local lakes and eateries. Many of the site were right out of many of the books that we had looked through prior to our travel. Their were large farming areas with families living in mud huts with twig roof. Their were children sitting in the yards and doorways of the houses. Many of them fully naked or simply with t-shirts and no shoes. There were goats and chickens and ox on the land and going in and out of the houses.
We ate at some very nice restaurants with traditional Ethiopian foods served with injera bread. We took part in a coffee ceremony, which is held in high regard in this country. They boast that coffee was actually discovered in Ethiopia. Coffee continues to be a large source of income and their largest export. The coffee was very rich and of dark brew and served with a handful of popcorn.
We did visit 2 local lakes and beaches. We indeed jumped in a small wooden boat to travel across a huge lake to visit the HIPPO'S. It was a rattling, shanty boat which at times seem to struggle across the rough waters. We saw 7 hippos in their natural habitat. We appraoched to about 50 feet. They a times seemed to be wrestling and/or playing with each other. It was very remarkable.
Today, Aug. 31 we will meet the 3 ladies that care for Dibora after her mothers death and prior to her being placed in the orphanage. She was only placed in the orphanage 3 months ago. We are hoping to gain information about her birth parents, living situation and memories of her life prior to her placement. We were told that any question is fair game and we are hoping to videotape the interactions.
Hope all is well - Danny and Cory

_________________________________________________________________
Get ideas on sharing photos from people like you. Find new ways to share.
http://www.windowslive.com/explore/photogallery/posts?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Photo_Gallery_082008

5 comments:

Christie said...

Oh, I loved this post! Wonderful! I can't believe you saw Hipos! I read the post out loud to Brent and laughed at him cuz he gets mad if we leave the door open while we run the garbage/ recycling outside. LOL Chickens and Goats walking through the house :-) I would LOVE to see Brent in that life! What a humbling place to visit. It really makes me think about what I really "need". :-) Thank you for sharing. Can't wait to hear how things go and for finally, the post with you and Danny and Dibora in your arms :-) HUGS!!!

kristin said...

yeah..those hippos are supposed to kill more people than any other animal in the wild...did you know that??? (Man vs. Wild...avid fans;) soo amazing. I can't believe that you're there! Glad you and Danny get to experience some time alone together...what an awesome and amazing adventure! unbelievable. What a great idea to video tape the interaction with Diborah's caretakers. She will cherish that, as I'm sure you will, too! You're in our constant prayers!

sooooo excited for you guys to meet her!!! woohoo!

Deborah said...

What an exciting adventure. I thought Meijer's was a crazy place to shop on weekends.
We can't wait to hear about Dibora's family and background information. Looking forward to seeing "Gotcha" day pictures.
Hugs,
The Bowers

Christie said...

I check your site every day, multiple times, i can't wait to hear! I hope that all is well with you guys and that the silence is due to lack of technology and not trouble. :-) My prayers are with you.

kristin said...

ditto, Christie's comment..you guyss are making me nervous! Call me when you get in the states!!