Thursday, September 11, 2008

More Ethiopia


OK, I'm back. I'm guessing I have about 30 min before nap is over...





So after traveling back from Awassa to Addis Ababa, a 2 1/2 hour trip which took approx 5 hrs, we spent the next day visiting a museum. The bones are from "Lucy" which for all of you non-science people, is the oldest skeleton ever found. Danny was amazed that the bones were actually exactly like those you would see today. Not a lot has changed or evolved in the last 5000 years or so. God knows how to make these bodies of ours! The other picture here is of the traditional pillow. Yes, that's right. These comfy little head-rests serve as pillows. You can actually see them everywhere. We had hotels that did accomodate us with pillows that we were accustomed to! Later that day was our reason for coming all this way. We had seen enough and soaked in as much culture as our brains could handle. We got to go to the orphanage and pick up Dibora. She was scared to death! We were told that we were the first white people she had ever seen. They kept handing us candy to give her thinking that would calm her down. Actually she just needed to get out of dodge and let us help her to understand that we were good and not going to harm her. When we got back to the hotel we were helped out by the staff, restaurant and cleaning. They would talk to her and then sometimes tell me what she wanted or needed. By the end of our stay that was tough because she started to want them and not me. After we got her we had to stay in the hotel, they didn't want us walking around with these children so the last 4 days of our stay were long and tough. There are still so many things that I'm noticing about our different cultures. She will wash herself like crazy in the sink but put her in a bath tub and get ready for a screaming child. Absolutely no cold cows milk, maybe warm goat milk. I know I look like I'm letting my 4 yr. old eat with her hands and sop up her food with her bread but she's only been eating with silverware for about 1 week now!
So after the few nights of getting to know Dibora we arrived back to Michigan safe and sound. 16 hour plane trips are for the birds. I may go back in about 10 years. It will take me that long to get over the plane trip!

We are loving Dibora. She is already adjusting better than I thought she would. I even went to Bible Study yesterday, she stayed with me but I was able to listen. I want to thank my mom for coming to stay with Skylar, Riley and Laney. I know they had a blast and she really helped us out. Also, Emily and Ben and Brandy! Thank you for taking care of my girls before my mom could get to town. They loved every minute with you guys.

I should have more pictures up as our life keeps going. If anyone has any questions about this adoption or places to donate money or any way to help out these orphans, ask. We are sure we made a good choice. There will be times, already have been times, when Danny and I have asked ourselves what we've done and realized how easy we had it. It is what you make of it and right now it's beautiful!

3 comments:

kristin said...

wow! She's beautiful! It's soo amazing to see pictures of her with you guys! How awesome. We're in awe.

Christie said...

Oh Cory, she is so beautiful. What a little princess. I cried at the pictures of her on your laps, what a beautiful thing. Thank you for sharing. You're going to be such a wonderful pair of parents for her, and she couldn't ask for better sisters. I can't wait to see her adjust and play with her sisters. Lovely lovely story. Thanks for bloging

Charlotte said...

I've been following your journey since you all left. Diborah (I apologize if I spelled her name wrong) is so beautiful! We were told that our daughter Fikir cried for almost 3 days after Diborah left the orphanage :(.

I am glad that you are all getting settled. I'm glad you posted about baths- I guess we will have to see how that will go...