Well it has been awhile and I'm going to see if I have what it takes to blog for real. I have looked at some blogs and seen amazing things and I want to do that.
We are going through an amazing time and we want to share it and this may be the best way to do that, especially from Ethiopia.
So, we are waiting eagerly for Wed. July 23rd. That is the day that a court hearing takes place in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia to grant us custody of Dibora Yosef! She is a beautiful 3 year old girl and I can't wait until the day we get to share pictures of her. The laws are strict about sharing pictures and too much info until custody is actually transferred!
Her 4th birthday is September 4th, I will tell you that. So hopefully, if all goes well, we will be celebrating her 4th birthday here in Redford, MI!
Tad bit of info:
When addressing someone in Ethiopia, always use their first name. In more formal situations, use the first name preceded by a title. For example, Dawit Sissay is a-to da-wit, 'Mr Dawit'. Ethiopians often use their father's first name where Westerners use surnames. After marriage, women retain their maiden names, and only change their title.
Ethiopians also use friendly terms to address people: weun-dem, 'brother', for a man around your own age; e-het, 'sister', for a women around your own age; ab-bab-ba,'papa', for old men; e-mam-ma, 'mama', for old women; and ga-she, 'my shield', for a man slightly older than you.
mother is e-nat
father is ab-bat
sister is e-het
We are going through an amazing time and we want to share it and this may be the best way to do that, especially from Ethiopia.
So, we are waiting eagerly for Wed. July 23rd. That is the day that a court hearing takes place in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia to grant us custody of Dibora Yosef! She is a beautiful 3 year old girl and I can't wait until the day we get to share pictures of her. The laws are strict about sharing pictures and too much info until custody is actually transferred!
Her 4th birthday is September 4th, I will tell you that. So hopefully, if all goes well, we will be celebrating her 4th birthday here in Redford, MI!
Tad bit of info:
When addressing someone in Ethiopia, always use their first name. In more formal situations, use the first name preceded by a title. For example, Dawit Sissay is a-to da-wit, 'Mr Dawit'. Ethiopians often use their father's first name where Westerners use surnames. After marriage, women retain their maiden names, and only change their title.
Ethiopians also use friendly terms to address people: weun-dem, 'brother', for a man around your own age; e-het, 'sister', for a women around your own age; ab-bab-ba,'papa', for old men; e-mam-ma, 'mama', for old women; and ga-she, 'my shield', for a man slightly older than you.
mother is e-nat
father is ab-bat
sister is e-het
2 comments:
Oh I was SO hoping that you would decide to blog this adventure. I want so badly to watch this unfold and to "meet" the newest Holland! What a lovely adventure! I can't wait for further posts. Thanks for sharing "cory miss". I'll keep checking back, "hugs"
how exciting!!! When do you guys actually GO there?? my friend from highschool JUST got costudy from RIGHT there yesterday! Thanks for updating us!! I miss you!!! Where are you guys right now?? I called your cell the other day. Let's catch up, my dear!
love you.
Post a Comment